Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Haleakala backpacking

Hi friends,

When I was a kid my family did a lot of backpacking. We spent many 3 day weekends in the woods or high on a mountaintop. Sometimes it was beautiful, and sometimes it was a wet miserable experience. Even if it was hard I still cherished every moment (at least that's how I remember it. My dad will assure you that I whined a lot, especially as a younger hiker!). I have forgotten any pain or tiredness and only remember the beautiful views and experiences.

Well now I want my boys to have those same experiences and memories. Early this summer, I committed myself to taking the boys to Haleakala for a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip. I got my buddy on board, with his boys, and now we are just a little over a month away from making it a reality!

I have been gathering gear and taking the boys on day hikes around Oahu. They have been great and really enjoy it! I still need a pack for Bryan and then I think I'll have all my non-food major purchases covered.

I plan on making this blog the online journal for the trip. I don't quite know what kind of access I'll have in the crater, maybe not much, but I'll post what I can. If you'd like to follow along, check back here often!

Looking forward to sharing our adventure with all of you!,

Peace, Love and Long Walks,

Rich

No comments: