Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving isn't an entitlement.

Now-a-days, whenever I think of Thanksgiving, I always remember the worst Thanksgiving of my life! I don't remember the year exactly but the whole family was so sick. We all had some bug and were in different stages of dealing with it, but none of us was in the "healthy" stage. We barely had the energy to get out of bed, so no parties, no turkey no nothing but misery. Misery and resentment that our holiday had been lost.

The only thing we had, was a Turkey and Mashed Potatoes TV dinner. I don't know how long it had been in the freezer but we took it out, cut the little plastic off the meat and 6 minutes later, Voila...Thanksgiving!

I remember thinking that we were just going to have to celebrate our own personal Thanksgiving later, after we were all better. That didn't happen and I remember being sad about that and even feeling robbed.

What I forgot was that Thanksgiving isn't about the food or the parties or the date on a calendar. Thanksgiving is a state of mind. It is a decision to trust God and be content with whatever He brings into my life. Good or bad, my ultimate trust of Him allows me to accept with faith that whatever He brings into my life will ultimately be the best. In fact that's scriptural:
Romans 8:28 (New Living Translation)
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Thanksgiving is a privilege, not an entitlement.

I let my selfish desires and expectations for the holiday rob me of the whole point. The opportunity to pause,... reflect,.... appreciate,.... and express our deepest gratitude to The One from Whom all good things come.

I hope everyone takes some time to do that this year. It is a most appropriate way to begin the holiday season!

Peace, Love and Deep Thankfulness,

Rich

3 comments:

Auntie Pupule said...

Beautifuly expressed.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Donna, Champuru.net said...

Thanks for sharing your story! And the verse is so appropriate. It's one of my "life verses," something that I always hold on to when I am going through a tough time.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Donna "champuru"
(champuru.net)

Sandy Fewell said...

I remember that Thanksgiving, too. We felt so
sad that we couldn't be there to hold your hand, make chicken soup and help all of you to feel better. It was a mother's guilt that she couldn't be there for her family. However, it sounds like God had something better planned --- a lesson to be learned, anticipation of future better Thanksgivings, and an understanding of how God works to grow us up! We love all of you so much, Rich, Em, Bry and Brad. Happy Thanksgiving!