Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Reflections

As I drove to church today, I was reflecting on Father's Day.

My first response was to think of my heavenly Father. I reflected on His grace and provision for me, as well as his guidance and discipline in my life. He teaches us to call him Abba, which translated basically means "Daddy", but he also wields the power and authority of the King of Kings. He exercises his power and authority not in a cruel way, but in a way that builds us up.

My thoughts then turned to my own Dad. He is a great dad! He taught me about hard work and responsibility. He took me hiking and sailing and diving all over these islands. He knew everything! He was my "Google", before there was a Google. I always felt safe with him around. He was always on my side and my protector. He fought for the best in me, even when the "enemy" was my own lazy or disrespectful attitudes. I owe so much to my dad.

Naturally, I began to think of my own parenting, my own "dadship" if you will. I care so much for my boys. I am proud of the young men they are becoming. I want them to develop and grow into the high-integrity men that God has designed them to be. I want them to know my love and my expectations are not connected. Their performance measured against my hopes for them has no bearing on how much I love them. I love them completely and totally, no matter what. Successful or not, prosperous or poor, they will always know the love of their daddy.

Which reminds me again of the love of God for us. No matter what we've done or not done, the love of our heavenly Father is assured. Even when we reject him, he never stops loving us.

We are living in times where fatherhood is under attack. Fatherlessness is rampant. The traditional family is becoming rare. No matter what kind of dad you had growing up, you've got a perfect one in Christ. Get to know your heavenly Dad, and you may be surprised someday when someone notices a resemblance!

Peace, Love and "I Love You Dad!",

Rich
KH6DAD
(Ham radio call sign)

P.S. Don't worry Dad, you'll always be my Google! Ha Ha!

No comments: